Students, please contact the Department of Social Work for more information.
Job Listings Posted: August 2013
The Jefferson County Public Defender’s Office
Contact: David Downs
The Jefferson County Public Defender’s Community Law Office (CLO) seeks zealous and dedicated individuals to serve as Social Workers in the Birmingham Division. All CLO employees will provide high quality representation to indigent defendants. Social workers are an integral part of interdisciplinary teams of advocates working collaboratively to provide high quality, holistic representation to indigent clients in the Criminal and Family Courts of Jefferson County, Alabama. Strategizing with lawyers and other advocates, social workers assist clients with those issues leading them to have contacts with the Criminal Justice system. Social workers are responsible for conducting assessments, making referrals to treatment programs and social service providers, as well as working with attorneys and other staff to address client needs during and after the legal case concludes. Social workers must have strong organization skills, excellent time management, an ability to work collaboratively and a thorough knowledge of issues related to criminal justice involvement for poor and under-served populations.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Crisis Intervention;
- Interviewing and assessing clients;
- Writing psychosocial assessments;
- Assisting with client-attorney communication;
- Providing supportive counseling to clients and their families;
- Connecting clients with a wide variety of social services and benefits;
- Advocating for and appearing on behalf of clients in Criminal Court and Family;
- Writing mitigation memoranda for judges and prosecutors;
- Visiting clients at jail facilities, as well as treatment programs; and
- Cultivating relationships with community programs and social service providers.
- Masters in Social Work from an accredited Graduate School of Social Work with LCSW certification.
- A demonstrated interest working with clients with criminal justice system contacts who often have histories of trauma, issues related to substance abuse, as well as and are experiencing mental illness.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong written advocacy skills
- Bilingual ability is strongly desired (Spanish/English)
Interested Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or upload the same at www.jeffcodefender.org/careers.
On-line Application Address: www.jeffcodefender.org/careers. See JobID: 8401