Personal Statement Instructions
University of Mississippi Department of Social Work MSW Program Format for Applicant Personal and Professional Statement In order to assist us in determining your fit with the social work profession and the University of Mississippi Department of Social Work, please prepare a carefully written, 3-4page(900-1200 words, double-spaced, 12-point font) statement that addresses the following questions:
1. What is your understanding of social work? Please include your understanding of social justice and how it is relevant to social work.
2. How did your interest in social work develop? What personal, volunteer, and professional experiences or relationships have influenced your interest in this profession?
3. What are your career goals? What fields of practice are of interest to you and why?
4. What factors impacted your decision to seek graduate education both in general and in particular at the University of Mississippi Department of Social Work?
5. Graduate education is a very demanding endeavor and requires a major commitment in terms of focus, time and energy. How is this a logical next step for you both personally and professionally? Please address how you feel you are ready for the intensity of graduate study.
6. If there are deficiencies (GPA below 3.0, failed courses, etc.) in your academic record, please address them.